Funding for Interdisciplinary Student Projects + Research 2018-2019 Information and Application
ArtsEngine stimulates and supports integrative project-based creative work and sustained research among faculty and students from North Campus, School of Information, and other U-M units. As a joint effort between A. Alfred Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning, Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, School of Music, Theatre & Dance, College of Engineering, and School of Information, ArtsEngine fosters transformative cross-disciplinary approaches and collaborations.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Grant Award Amount
Up to $1,500
Funding Cycles + Deadlines
Round I: deadline is Friday, October 5, 2018 (Notification by October 19)
Round II: deadline is Wednesday, November 21, 2018 (Notification by December 7)
Round III: deadline is Friday, February 8, 2019 (Notification by February 22)
- Main grant applicant must belong to one of ArtsEngine’s sponsoring colleges (see above), but collaborators can be from any U-M unit.
- Current undergraduate and graduate students from U-M may apply.
- Individuals or groups may apply – though preference will be given to projects with at least two collaborators from different schools/disciplines.
- Student organizations may apply.
Criteria for Projects and Research:
- Project must be interdisciplinary (involving more than one discipline), with art as a primary focus. This may include projects that involve visual arts, design, architecture, literary arts, theatre, dance, film, performance and music.
- A wide spectrum of involved disciplines is encouraged (i.e. engineering and dance; biology and music, etc.)
- Project component funded by ArtsEngine must be realized by June 2019.
- Project should demonstrate campus and/or local community impact.
- Projects are expected to be student-led, although faculty and staff can participate as team members.
Information Required for Completing the Application
You may save the application at any time and return later to finish if needed; however, we encourage you to have the following information ready:
1. Grant Narrative (please address the following questions in 300-500 words)
- How is the project interdisciplinary and why will this approach be appropriate for your project?
- How do the arts play a role in your project?
- If this is a group project, how will you address benefits and challenges of this interdisciplinary collaboration?
- How do you anticipate carrying out the project? Explain the general timeline and describe team member responsibilities.
- What is the expected impact on campus and/or the local community?
2. Project Budget
- List all expenses and indicate those that ArtsEngine funds will cover
- Include secured funding from other sources
3. Supporting Materials
- Be ready to attach docs or links that help demonstrate the merit of your project (i.e. drawings, videos, advertisements, etc.).
Not sure if your project fits the criteria?
See projects that have been successfully funded by ArtsEngine in the past, click HERE.
For samples of projects that would not be funded by ArtsEngine Student MicroGrants and details on why not (i.e. how to make the application stronger!), click HERE.
Still have questions? Contact us at email@example.com or schedule a time to meet for advice. Need to find a collaborator for your project? Use the button on the left to make your request!