This page covers approaches an overall description of the data, code book, data management practices, and access to the dataset (if any).
Open-Ended Question Types
In addition to multiple choice questions, a set of open-ended questions built upon many of the multiple choice options, providing important insights into the diverse frames of students’ experiences with the arts at UM and in their lives.
- How did your behavior or thinking change (as a result of engaging in the arts)? (
- In what ways do you think you can grow (through arts engagement)? (
- What role did the arts play in your development as a person, friend, colleague, and student during college? (
- Please describe any transformative or meaningful arts experience you had during college. (
- How did being involved in the arts as a child make you feel? (
- How did your involvement in the arts in college make you feel? (
- What role do you see the arts playing in society? (
- What do you see as the barriers preventing you from being involved in the arts at the University of Michigan (if you experienced any)? (
- What role did the arts play in your college experience, both positive and negative? (
- How do you define “the arts”? (
- If the arts had any impact on your career choice, please describe. (
- In what other ways do you see yourself being involved in the arts after college? (
These results — particularly when analyzed in conjunction with demographic factors — begin to provide important insights for the design of arts-based experiences in higher education, as well as the impacts of the arts on student learning and engagement.
The demographic factors listed below were used in conjunction with the principal component scores from the responses to the open-ended questions to make comparisons.
What is the highest degree obtained by one or more of your parents?
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ph.D or professional degree
What is your best estimate of your total household income last year? (Consider income from all sources before taxes.)
- Less than $50,000
- More than $150,000
How would you classify the high school from which you graduated?
- Traditional public
- Public charter
- Public magnet
- Private religious
- Private non-religious
- Home school
How many students were enrolled in the high school from which you graduated?
- Less than 500
- More than 3001
How would you describe the area in which the high school you graduated from is located?
How would you rate the frequency of your overall involvement in arts events and activities during high school?
Were you encouraged by your high school to be involved in the arts?
Were you required by your high school to be involved in the arts?
Was there a fee associated with participation in arts activities at your high school?
Were you involved in the arts during your childhood?
During your childhood, did your parents sign you up and take you to art classes of any kind?
During your childhood, did your parents talk to you about the arts?
What is the highest academic degree that you intend on obtaining?
- Associate’s degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- Doctoral or professional degree